Salamina is an area of 95 square klm, with a population
of approximately 23.000 inhabitants, and is only 1 nautical mile
away from Piraeus. At Paloukia next to a children playground an
outdoor naval museum was created,with torpedoes and canons It
1978 it was relocated from Poros, to Fneromeni of Salamina and
in 1881 to Paloukia naval station. The small church of Agios Georgios
was built on the foundations of the pre byzantine cathedral of
the 6th century. Near the cape of Pounta between the Kamatero
and Ampelakia the ruins of the city Koulouri of the historical
years are located.
The capital of Salamina is commonly known as Koulouri consists
of a modern rural center with vivid commotion especially during
the summer months. At 1993 on the hill of Patris the Euripideo
open air theatre was built, where the pan Hellenic poetry competition
takes place in the memory of Aggelos Sikelianos. On the coastline
of Karaiskaki, a building survives in whose basement the hero
had his headquarters.
In the neoclassic building of the Cultural
Association Euripides ,the folklore museum and library
is housed, which consists of 3500 volumes of books. At
the Faneromeni avenue, a few meters before the square
of Boskou, Panagia of Boskou or Katharou, can be found,
with wall paintings from 1758. The largest and most remarkable
Byzantine monastery of the island is that of Faneromeni.
Tradition mentions that in the middle of the 18th century
Megaritis L.Kanellos saw in his sleep the Virgin Mary
ordering him to remodel the dilapidated temple Metamorphosis
of Sotira at Salamina. The monastery has available a guest
house and workshop where some nuns draw icons and produce
candles and hand woven fabrics.
The monastery celebrates every 23-25 August with a majestic
open air festival. Near the beach the house whose guest
was the poet Angelos Sikelianos can be located.
At the pine-full village of Moulki (Aiantio)
where the widespread first Hellenic settlement existed,
visit the churches of Metamorphosis of Sotira and Kimisis
of Theotokou from the 11th and 12th century. Five kilometers
after Moulki on the mountain of Stavros on the southwestern
side of the island the monastery of Saint Nikolaou Lemonion
can be found. From 1966 the monastery has available cells
and guest rooms. Exactly on the opposite side, the Byzantine
temple of Saint John Kalibitou from the 10th century can
The location west of Phanari of the Peristerion received
its name Kolones from the remains of the most ancient
city of the island. Based on Stravona, this city was named
Salamis and the island Kihria seems to have been inhabited
until the end of the 7th century B.C.
Salamina offers intense and a variety of entertainment
and nightlife. Excursions are organized to Aigina and
Agistri. New Years , Apokries (Greek Halloween) and the
celebration of the Fishermen (Psaras in Greek) are celebrated
in the traditional way. A school of rowing operates at
the naval club of Salamina
The southern coastline is mainly available for swimming
and fishing. At the northern coastline you can swim on
the smooth sand and Faneromeni.